Friday 29 June 2012

Eat your heart out Fanny Craddock!

Those of you older than 21 may remember that very first TV cook - Fanny Craddock.  What a fabulous woman she was.  Perfect hair and makeup with her ever-faithful husband Johnny lurking in the background:


Well, in a couple of weeks time, that will be me.  Mmm... 

The Produced in Kent organisation recently contacted their members to see if anyone would be willing to do a short talk or demonstration in the 'Why Farming Matters' area of the forthcoming Kent County Show.  I am always happy to talk to people about goats or cheese or anything else that takes their fancy and so I said that I would be willing to do something if they were interested.  I figured that, as we had won the Food Farming and Landscape Award, we should be prepared to do something.

And so, today I spoke with the lady who is organising the whole 'Why Farming Matters' schedule for the show weekend.  Turns out that she wants me to talk about goat's cheese.  And what to do with it.  For 30 minutes.  In a cookery demonstration.  Yes, that's right.  Wearing a head mike and working in a complete kitchen, I have to talk about goat's cheese whilst preparing delicious food.  Multitasking at its finest. 

Farmer?  Yes.  Goat keeper?  Yes.  Cheesemaker?  Yes.  TV chef??  Definitely not ... But then I'm always game for a laugh so I think it could be quite entertaining.  The challenge will be to get through the whole 30 minutes without chopping any of my fingers off.

So, if any of you happen to be at the Kent County Show on Friday 13th July (what an auspicious day!) make your way to the 'Why Farming Matters' demonstration kitchen at 2pm for a bit of goatie entertainment.  And some free cheese.  Should be a blast ...

1 comment:

  1. David is Fanny's biggest devotee .... he learned all he knows about cooking from her. Which is why he never tidies anything in the kitchen as Fanny always had Johnny or the downtrodden Sarah to whisk dirty dishes/untensils away!!!

    Not sure if we'll get to the County Show this year but best of luck - I'm sure you'll have fun.

    Whatever happened to your idea of having a recipes section on your Blog?? I have a wicked recipe for shallot tarte tatin with goats cheese :-)

    ReplyDelete