Saturday 26 October 2013

Back up north

Well, I have to say that it's been a very interesting week!  David allowed me a couple of days off and I travelled up to York to attend the autumn meeting of the Goat Veterinary Society.  I managed to find a good deal on train fares and so decided to really make the most of my time and made the journey by train. 

It's been many years since I travelled any distance by train and I have to say that I was very pleasantly surprised by the experience.  When the trains work in this country they work well.  Ashford to York in just over 3 hours!  Stunning ...  And I got a pile of paperwork done on the train as well.

In the couple of hours I had to spare before being picked up by my goatie colleague Sue, I had a little trot into town and visited the sights.  It's exactly 30 years since I was last in York on a student placement - not exactly a frequent visitor!  But it was as beautiful as I remembered with the Minster dominating the town:

 



I was particularly intrigued by this notice outside one of the coffee shops ... obviously must be a problem in York!

Our meeting was held at York Racecourse and it was an absolutely beautiful day as you can see:


 
As always, the meeting was brilliant with lots of excellent speakers.  It's always good to catch up with the vets and large commercial goatkeepers as well.  Where else would I be able to chat to Angus and Kathleen, the owners of the massive St Helen's Farm dairy?!
 
Whilst I was living it up in York (and had a lie in until 6.30am!!), David had help from our wonderful goatie assistants Mel and Anita.  It seems that young Husky behaved herself very well whilst Goatie Mum Debbie was away.  David took this photo of her lying in the milking parlour in the evening.  Apparently she kept falling asleep and sliding off onto the floor!
 

However, she is back up to her tricks again tonight as it's that tail-wagging time of the month again!  David has devised an ingenious way of keeping her away from the boys without having to put her in the trailer like last time so I will get a picture in the morning for you ...

Night night everyone!  Don't forget to put those clocks back and enjoy that extra hour in bed tonight ...

No comments:

Post a Comment